About Lewis, Vermont
Chartered: June 29, 1762 (New Hampshire Grant)
Area: 24,972 Acres = 39.02 Square Miles [ Size Rank: 141* ]
Coordinates (Geographic Center): N 44° 52′ W 71°45′
Altitude: 1,711 feet ASL
Population (US Census, 2010): 0 [ Population Rank: 254* ]
[ Density Rank: 254* ]
Census Info: County State
*Area, Population and Density rankings refer to Lewis’ relative position among Vermont’s 255 civic entities (9 cities, 242 towns, 4 gores and grants). Complete rankings are here.
One of several towns granted to Samuel Averill and others on a purely speculative basis. Undoubtedly named for Nathan, Sevignior and Timothy Lewis, who were listed in the grants for neighboring Wenlock (now part of Ferdinand) and Maidstone.
Not an especially good buy for the Averill group. Heavily timbered, rough and mountainous, never attracting even one settler, hence, no villages, post offices or roads other than logging roads.
The entire northern half is taken up with mountains in the 2,000 foot range, all but one of which are unnamed; the southern half is mostly semi-swamp known as Yellow Bogs.
One of five towns (see also Averill, Ferdinand, Glastenbury and Somerset) in Vermont which have been discontinued for lack of interest, so to speak. Population levels have dropped to such a point (or never existed in the first place) that the towns have been disenfranchised (unincorporated). Rather than having its own government (Select Board, Town Clerk, etc.) the town’s affairs are administered by a state-appointed supervisor.
Emergency Services (Statewide): 911
Hospital: North Country Hospital & Health Care (Newport) 802-334-7331
Supervisor: Gina Vigneault PO Box 417 Island Pond, VT 05846
This is a basic geographic reference, intended to show relative location of adjacent towns. Directional accuracy is limited to 16 compass points. There isn’t even the slightest suggestion that one can necessarily travel directly from one town to the next (as in “You can’t get there from here”).