About Sheldon, Vermont
Chartered: August 18, 1763 (New Hampshire Grant)
Area: 25,176 Acres = 39.34 Square Miles [ Size Rank: 135* ]
Coordinates (Geographic Center): N 44° 53′ W 72°56′
Altitude: 374 feet ASL
Population (US Census, 2010): 2,190 [ Population Rank: 83* ]
Population Density (persons per square mile): 55.7 [ Density Rank: 87* ]
Full Census Info: Town County State
*Area, Population and Density rankings refer to Sheldon’s relative position among Vermont’s 255 civic entities (9 cities, 242 towns, 4 gores and grants). Complete rankings are here.
Sheldon was originally named Hungerford for the chief grantee, Samuel Hungerford, a Connecticut resident. Sometime after the town was granted, a man named Field bought Hungerford’s interest, and also acquired some of the other grantees’ shares in the town. He in turn sold to Colonel Elisha Sheldon of Salisbury, Connecticut, a veteran of one of the Connecticut line regiments during the Revolutionary War.
About 1789 Colonel Sheldon and his sons, Elisha Jr., George and Samuel, moved to Vermont. Other settlers soon followed and the town’s name was changed from Hungerford to Sheldon in 1792. Colonel Sheldon and Elisha Jr. were elected selectmen at the first town meeting, and Samuel was elected town clerk. Later Samuel was to become the town’s first justice of the peace and first representative to the Vermont legislature.
The records of the Governor and Council show that in October 1794 Samuel Sheldon petitioned that body for help in getting out of a mess. He had built a gristmill and sawmill on Black Creek and, as his petition stated, “the dam had flowed more ground than was expected,” with the result that Samuel was faced with suits for damages on every hand. He asked that the Governor and Council appoint a committee to assess the damage and determine how much he should pay. Apparently the committee managed to settle the affair to the satisfaction of everyone concerned, because Samuel lived out his life in Sheldon, as a much respected and loved town father.
A railroad stop named Olmstead Falls became known for the recuperative powers of “the waters” of what were known as the Missisquoi Springs in that part of town. In 1884, Olmstead Falls became Sheldon Springs in a move probably designed to draw attention to the town as a resort area. After the largest hotel in town was destroyed by fire (set by a disgruntled employee) the village declined as a tourist spot, but the name remains.
Activities & Points of Interest
Goings-on in and near Sheldon
Calendar of Events provided by the Vermont Department of Tourism & Marketing.
Misissquoi Valley Rail Trail
A 26-mile all-season recreation path which largely parallels Route 105 and the Missisquoi River between Richford and St. Albans. The packed gravel surface is suitable for walking or biking (wide tires are recommended) and XC skiing in winter. Closed to motorized vehicles except in winter. Easy access to refreshments at several points. As of the Fall of 2002, the trail is complete for its entire length, with the replacement of the collapsed segment of the former rail bridge at Sheldon Junction.
Emergency Services (Statewide): 911
Hospital: Northwestern Medical Center (St. Albans) 802-524-5911
Town Clerk: Paulette Bocash PO Box 66 Sheldon, VT 05483
M 8-6; T W Th F 8-3
Churches, Ministries, Charitables
Franklin Northwest Supervisory Union 802-868-4967
Sheldon Elementary School 802-933-4909
This is a basic geographic reference, intended to show relative location of adjacent towns. Directional accuracy is limited to 16 compass points. There isn’t even the slightest suggestion that one can necessarily travel directly from one town to the next (as in “You can’t get there from here”).
Businesses & Services
Fast Friendly Service for Northwestern Vermont
Notes about utilities:
- One electric or phone company indicates that company serves the entire town. More than one of either indicates each serves different areas of town.
- A listed cable company MIGHT mean the entire town is covered, but not necessarily. More than one listed indicates each serves different areas of town.
- Unless your area is one served by Vermont’s only gas utility, your only option is bottled gas (any dealer).
Electric Enosburg Electric Light Department 802-933-4443
Electric Green Mountain Power 888-835-4672
Electric Vermont Electric Co-op 800-832-2667
Natural Gas Vermont Gas Systems 802-863-4511
Telephone Fairpoint 866-984-2001
Telephone Franklin Telephone Company 802-285-9911