Boston & Albany Railway Lock Ritchie & Sons Railroad Padlock RY B&A RR Brass For Sale
Boston & Albany Railway Lock Ritchie & Sons Railroad Padlock RY B&A RR Brass:
Up for sale is a solid brass railroad switch lock for the Boston and Albany Railroad. This is marked B&A RR in clear lettering on the back with S designation for switch lock. There are various other rail lines with the B&A reporting mark so please see key cut and judge for yourself on the railway identification. The Boston and Albany is the most common with this reporting mark. The lock has a manufacturer mark of Ritchie & Sons on the front left facel. This lock is operational but the key is not included in the offer, this sale is for the padlock only. Unfortunately, the stem inside the key hole is missing but the lock still works--you just have to hold the key steady when opening it--see pictures for reference. The key hole cover is strong with good spring. I have other obsolete brass and antique steel railroad and logo padlocks made by Corbin, Adlake, Slaymaker, Slaight of New Jersey, Sherburne, MM Buck, Miller Company, Fraim, OM Edwards, Loeffelholz of Milwaukee, Union Brass Manufacturing of Chicago, Y&T, Yale,Wilson Bohannan, Adams & Westlake, Ritchie & Son, and Handlan. I will combine shipping costs on multiple item winners.
from wiki:Boston and Albany Railroad(reporting markB&A)was New York, later becoming part of theNew York Central Railroadsystem,Conrail, andCSX Transportation. The line is currently used by CSX for freight. Passenger service is still provided on the line byAmtrak, as part of theirLake Shore Limitedservice, and by theMBTA Commuter Railsystem, which owns the section east ofWorcesterand operates it as itsFramingham/Worcester Line.
When theErie Canalopened in 1825,New York City's advantageous water connection through theHudson Riverthreatened Boston's historical dominance as the trade center of the United States. Sincethe Berkshiresmade construction of a canal infeasible, Boston turned to the emerging railroad technology for a share of the freight to and from theMidwestern United States.TheBoston and Worcester Railroadwas chartered June 23, 1831 and construction began in August 1832. The line opened in sections: toWest Newtonon April 16, 1834; toWellesleyon July 3; toAshlandon September 20; toWestboroughin November 1834; and the full length toWorcesteron July 4, 1835.The original single-track line was doubled-tracked from Boston to Framingham in 1839, and on to Worcester by 1843. In 1843 the B&W introduced season passes to West Newton for $60, effectively introducing the concept ofcommuter rail.
TheWestern Railroadwas chartered February 15, 1833 and incorporated March 15, 1833 to connect the B&W to theHudson and Berkshire Railroadat theNew Yorkstate line.Construction began in 1837, and the Eastern Division to theConnecticut RiverinSpringfieldopened on October 1, 1839. The summit of Charlton Hill drainage divide between the Atlantic coast and the Connecticut River is a rock cut 57mi (92km) west of Boston. The Western Division, through theBerkshire Hills, opened in sections from both ends from the state line toPittsfieldMay 4, 1841,West SpringfieldtoChesterMay 24, 1841, Springfield to West Springfield (across the Connecticut River) July 4, 1841, Pittsfield to "Summit" August 9, 1841, and Chester to Summit September 13, 1841. The summit through the Berkshires is known as Washington Hill. Eastbound trains climb 6mi (9.7km) of 1.4% grade while westbound trains climb 10mi (16km) of slightly steeper grade to reach the 4mi (6.4km) of fairly level track across the drainage divide between the Connecticut and Hudson Rivers. On October 4, 1841 the first train ran along the full route. The only true tunnel on the B&A is State Line Tunnel in Canaan, New York, about 2mi (3.2km) west of the Massachusetts state line. The original bore was augmented by an improved-alignment second tunnel in 1912, and the original bore was abandoned in the late 20th century.
TheCastleton and West Stockbridge Railroadwas incorporated inNew Yorkin 1834 as the New York part of the Western Railroad, and changed its name to the Albany and West Stockbridge Railroad (chartered May 5, 1836, organized May 20). Construction began in December 1840 and the line opened fromGreenbush(east ofAlbany) toChathamon December 21, 1841 and to theMassachusettsstate line on September 12, 1842. It was leased to the Western Railroad for 50 years from November 11, 1841. This railroad replaced the Hudson and Berkshire Railroad east of Chatham, which was abandoned around 1860.