William Henry Harrison - Document Signed as President (Excessively Rare) For Sale
This item has been shown 839 times.
William Henry Harrison - Document Signed as President (Excessively Rare):
William Henry Harrison - Document Signed as President
The Holy Grail of Presidential autograph collecting… a document signed by William Henry Harrison as President of the United States!
Excessively rare portion of a Partly-printed Document Signed (DS) as President, "W. H. Harrison", one page, 3.375'' x 6.25'', Apr. 10, 1841. Although dated six (6) days after Harrison’s death, this document was clearly signed between March 4t and April 4, 1841. The partially printed document, in Dutch, is a portion of a three or four language ship's paper, the additional manuscript text (making reference to the port of New Bedford in Massachusetts) and date completed in a clerk's hand in the week following Harrison's death from pneumonia. The document is in Fine condition, featuring a bold, dark ink signature from William Henry Harrison as President. The rarest of all United States President's signatures while in office. In her book Autographs: A Key to Collecting (1946) Mary A. Benjamin writes: “Another outstanding example of date discrepancy which does not affect the genuineness of a signature, concerns one of William Henry Harrison….His signatures of presidential date are extremely rare….The authenticity of his signature on a ship's paper….when he was undoubtedly too ill to be bothered with such a routine matter, is not questioned. Harrison, compelled by existing laws to sign the numerous papers which served as passports for all vessels departing from American ports, had simply done the chore before he was fatally stricken, and a clerk had filled in the necessary data on the signed blank.” American Book Prices Current list just thirteen documents signed by Harrison as President (most of them ship's papers, or portions of ship's papers) as having been sold at sale between 1969-2012, and several leading authorities in the field, including Kenneth W. Rendell and Charles Hamilton, have estimated that perhaps a maximum of 25-30 documents signed by Harrison as President are known to exist.
- Document Signed (DS) by William Henry Harrison as President
- April 10, 1841
- One page, 3.375'' x 6.25''
- Featuring a bold, dark ink signature from William Henry Harrison as President
- In Fine condition
About Us & Our Guarantee
- We are a full-time dealer of autographs and historical documents located in Atlanta, GA.
- We guarantee the authenticity of this piece, and will gladly refund the full purchase price (to the original buyer) if it is ever proven not to be authentic.
- Rest assured that your piece will be professionally packaged and shipped, and will be fully insured. Multiple item purchases will always be consolidated to minimize buyer's shipping cost, if any.
- We will consider all reasonable offers this item.
- Please check our other sale items as we are constantly listing new autographed letters, pictures, and other historical documents.