SAN FRANCISCO: PORT OF GOLD (1947) William Martin Camp 1st ed PIX HC OOP RARE For Sale
This item has been shown 9 times.
SAN FRANCISCO: PORT OF GOLD (1947) William Martin Camp 1st ed PIX HC OOP RARE:
SAN FRANCISCO: PORT OF GOLD William Martin Camp Doubleday and Company, Inc. Garden City, New York (1947)
Hardcover 8.5" x 5.8" x 1.7" FAT! First Edition Illustrations Photos Antique Out of Print RARE
Inside front and back cover has beautiful double page print of San Francisco in 1868!
A riveting review of the first 100 years of San Francisco and California. It is primarily about the water front...but is filled with political, personal, and historical stories. For anyone who is fascinated by California history. Contents: PART ONE: THE NEW GOLDEN MOUNTAIN
- "The Boundless Bay"
- Lure of the Golden Gate
- Nancy Kelsy
PART TWO: THE BAY
- Fortune Hunters and Filibusters
- The Battle of the "Bulkhead"
- A Plot of Rebel Privateers
- The Port Comes of Age
PART THREE: MEN AND SHIPS
- Crimps and Shanhaiers
- The Life is Free
- A Sailor on the Sand
- Nothing to Lose but Chains
- Coasting Sailors Organize
PART FOUR: WATER-FRONT WARFARE
- Four Hundred Square Miles of Headache
- Labor at the Helm
- Sowing the Wind
- Reaping the Whirlwind
- "We Have Not Yet Failed"
INDEXCondition:COLLECTIBLE - EXCELLENT
- Minimal handling wear, as shown.
- Sharp and firm!
- Spine brilliant gold embossed, as shown.
- First page inscription in small pen dated 1947.
- First blank page small price in pencil.
- The rest is in PRISTINE condition!