RARE 1st 1918 Thanksgiving Menu & 1st Roster Military Ft Camp Benning Georgia For Sale
This item has been shown 22 times.
RARE 1st 1918 Thanksgiving Menu & 1st Roster Military Ft Camp Benning Georgia:
MOST PHOTO'S ARE BLURRED TO PROTECT THE INFORMATION ON DOCUMENT. THE DOCUMENT IS PRINTEDCLEARLY.
HOME OF THE INFANTRY SCHOOLOffered for your consideration an Extremely RARE, possibly only known military Menu / Roster 1918 for Camp Benning, Columbus, Ga. in existencebased on what is displayed at the National Infantry Museum, Columbus, Ga. I have confirmation that the Infantry Museum does not know of any other Menu's like this one, It being the first and having the complete 1ST CAMP BENNING Roster printed in the Menu. This Thanksgiving celebration that took place November 28, 1918 is the very first holiday activity and possibly the very first printed item documenting the first group activity that took place at Camp Benning, Columbus, Ga. The very First troops arrived October 1918 only one month before this Thanksgiving celebration took place. (The earliest Thanksgiving menu displayed in the National Infantry Museum is dated 1922) Also, I have exhausted attempts to locate another existing copy of this same menu 1918 document in other possible museums and archives.
COVER : 1st Thanksgiving Dinner 1918, The Infantry School of Arms Detachment. Camp Benning, Columbus, Ga. Lightly written date in ink on cover is "November 28th".INSIDE : While it states the Thanksgiving Dinner Menu, Most importantly it provides the first Roster of the Infantry School of Arms Detachment Camp Benning, Columbus Ga. Albert KIndervater, Captain, U.S.A., William J. Stewart, 1st. Lieut., U.S.A. Commanding Infantry School of Arms Detachment
The Roster begins by listing the names of Regimental Sergeants Majors, Mr. SIG. Electricians, Regimental Supply Sergeants, BN. Sergeants Majors, SGTS. 1CL.SIG.CPS,SGTS.SIG.CPS, Sergeants, Supply Sergeants, Corporals, Mechanics, Wagoners, Farriers, Saddlers, Horseshoers, Cooks, Buglers, 1st Class, Privates, 1st Class, and ends with Privates.
The first troops for Camp Benning initially located on/ near Macon Road, Columbus, GA arrived in October 1918, just before the armistice. It was located on old plantation grounds and was named for Henry L. Benning a Confederate hero and who also, served as a justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia. Camp Benning became the home of the U.S. Infantry School of Arms.It is one of the State of Georgia's most important military formation from the past and continues to be so today. Captain Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander during Word War II and President of the United States, served at the campimmediately after armistice. Congress funded the Infantry School of Arms. It was renamed Fort Benning in 1922. Fort Benning developed into one of the most important military installations in the United States.
Below you will find what is written on a Historical Marker regarding Camp Benning
SIDE ONE OF HISTORICAL MARKER FOR CAMP BENNING LOCATED MACON/DIXON RD. COLUMBUS, GA,
1918 DIAMOND JUBILEE 1933 CAMP BENNING/FORT BENNING
In October 1918, the Infantry School of Arms was Established on 80 acres of land here. Camp Benning, later Fort Benning, was named in honor of Confederate Infantry Lewis Benning, a Columbus Resident. The camp's first commander was Col. Henry Eames. Constructed in just 7 days, the temporary camp had some 300 tents, mess halls, offices and warehouses. It was built under the supervision Major J. Paul Jones. Hundreds of thousands of young men received their military training under and withpride in all the nation’s military involvements for more than half a century. During World War II, the Cold War, the wars in Korea, Vietnam, and Panama, as well as Desert Storm, infantrymen have fought and died to keep this nation free. This marker honors the infantrymen who have, for the past 75 years, trained at the Home of the Infantry. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISION AND THE CARL PATRICK FOUNDATION 1993
SIDE TWO1918 DIAMOND JUBILEE 1933 CAMP BENNING/FORT BENNINGFort Benning's mission has always been to train infantrymen for their task of defending the nation. Ft. Benning, now located south of Columbus on some 200,000 acres, is the free world's largest training facility. Fort Benning has trained men who have fought with pride in all of the nation's military involvements for more than half a century. During World War II, The Cold War, The wars in Korea, Vietnam and Panama, as well as Desert Storm, infantrymen have fought and died to keep this nation free. This marker honors infantrymen who for the past 75 years, trained at the Home of the Infantry. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE CARL PATRICK FOUNDATION 1993
Menu Measures 5 1/4" x 5 7/8"Stapled spine8 pages counting front and back (does not include cover)
The Infantry School of Arms DetachmentCamp Benning, Columbns, Ga. (sic)
Condition - Overall Good - small chip on bottom of cover, small creasing on top left corner on cover, Cover is made of heavy stock paper. Inside pages are lighter stock paper, All of menu is printed in color, there are 2 very small Christmas stickers that are attached to the back corner ends of the book and a small piece of paper is attatched/ stuck to back of cover. It is possible it may have been placed in a scrap book at one time.Unusual Typo at the bottom of the page mispelled Columbus , spelled on cover Columb"n"s
The first page is marked on bottom C.O.S. Columbus, Ga. (Printing company? )Quote by Tom Brown2nd Page is "empty" for taking notes3rd page is THANKSGIVING DINNER MENU4th page - Begining of the Roster, 5th Page - Roster, 6th page Roster, 7th page is RosterIF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE SEND A MESSAGE WITHOUT ANY LINKS OR EMAILS
LOCAL PICK-UP AVAILABLE
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING!